Thursday, October 7, 2010

The wedding soundtrack

When Socs and I were planning our wedding, we never really entertained the idea of how to entertain our guests (pun intended). Going with a "show" band was not us. String quartets here are generally disappointing. So we were pretty much sold on the idea of iPod entertainment for the reception.

That made looking for songs the main task. No mushy romantic music for us. We wanted something new, edgy, and off the wall. Luckily while I was in the US for an assignment, my car had XM radio so I was able to tune in to the music industry and get the ball rolling. I also commissioned Beverly Marquez to send some recommendations of the sounds that I liked.

I also frequented the website www.weddingmusicblog.com (the website seems to be down, Google the link and look at the cached site) and got some pretty good songs from it.

Despite being ok with iPod music, Socs and I were open to having a "wedding singer". We have an officemate who belongs to a band but were not quite sure if he was the sound we were looking for. Then he posted an acoustic rendition of Fake Plastic Trees by Radiohead, and we knew he could pull it off. So I hand picked a selection of songs from our seed of around 40 songs. We initially wanted only a single singer, but he said it would be better to have 2 singers/guitarists. He suggested a friend of his and sent us a "demo", he fit the bill so we gave the go ahead. Awesome duo, once I heard the first song play during the reception I knew they would rock it. They come highly recommended.

Even with a "band", I knew my initial cut of 40 songs would not do it. It lacked cohesion and order. Enter my friend Novis Lagunay. I knew he was a music buff and after attending his wedding, he was definitely the man to ask for help. I told him our concept, sent him my list of songs, he messed around with it a bit and provided me with pretty much the playlist that was played during the entire night. Excellent job Nobs!

So for those who might be interested, here is the playlist from our night:

Cocktails:
311 - Love Song
Afghan Whigs - 66
Alice In Chains - No Excuses
Better Than Ezra - A Lifetime
Better Than Ezra - At The Stars
Boys Like Girls - Hero/Heroine
Dashboard Confessional - Vindicated
The Fray - How To Save A Life
Incubus - Are You In
Lemonheads - It's About Time
Lifehouse - Make Me Over
Maroon 5 - Won't Go Home Without You
Owsley - Good Old Days
Powderfinger - My Happiness
The Script - The Man Who Can't Be Moved
Sister Hazel - Change Your Mind
Sister Hazel - All for You
Splender - Monotone
Splender - Save It For Later
Sugarcult - Memory (Acoustic)
Train - Drops Of Jupiter

Dinner:
Anberlin - A Day Late (Acoustic)
Anberlin - Dismantle. Repair. (Acoustic)
Anberlin - Inevitable (Acoustic)
Anberlin - The Unwinding Cable Car (Acoustic)
Athenaeum - What I Didn't Know (Acoustic)
Better Than Ezra - Desperately Wanting (Acoustic)
Boys Like Girls - Let Go (Acoustic)
Boys Like Girls - Two Is Better Than One
Counting Crows - Mr. Jones
Dave Matthews Band - Lover Lay Down
Death Cab For Cutie - I Will Follow You Into The Dark
Foo Fighters - Everlong (Acoustic)
The Fray - Never Say Never
Gavin DeGraw - Follow Through (Stripped Version)
Gavin Rossdale - Love Remains The Same
Incubus - Drive
INXS - Afterglow
Jack Johnson - Better Together
Jack Johnson - Flake
Jason Mraz - I'm Yours (Acoustic)
John Mayer - No Such Thing
Matt Nathanson - Come On Get Higher
Newton Faulkner - I Need Something
Nixons - Sister (Acoustic)
Plain White T's - 1,2,3,4
The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus - Your Guardian Angel
Rico Blanco - Your Universe
Sister Hazel - Best I'll Ever Be (Piano Version)
Sister Hazel - All For You (Acoustic)
Stereophonics - It Means Nothing
Sugarcult - Memory (Acoustic)
Toad The Wet Sprocket - All I Want (Acoustic)
Vertical Horizon - Sunrays And Saturdays
Zero 7 - Destiny (Acoustic)

The John Abrenica and Mito Romualdez band (not the real duo's group name heheh). Songs from what I distinctly heard they played
Ben Folds Five - The Luckiest
Chris Cornell - Thank You
Foo Fighters - My Hero (Acoustic)
Outkast - Hey Ya (Scrubs Version)

The list we sent them included:
Cynthia Alexander - Walk Down The Road
Dashboard Confessional - Even Now
Dashboard Confessional - I Do
Dashboard Confessional - Stolen
Death Cab For Cutie - I Will Follow You Into The Dark
Evanescence - My Immortal
Evan Dando/Lemonheads - How Will I Know
Hedley - For The Nights I Can't Remember
Parokya ni Edgar - Your Song
Pearl Jam - Breathe
Rico Blanco - Your Universe
Rise Against - Swing Life Away
Staind - Zoe Jane
Train - If It's Love
William Fitzsimmons - Good Morning

No comments:

Post a Comment